working with git-svn (was ...)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jul 2 10:34:27 EDT 2013

On Jul 1, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, July 1, 2013 5:41 pm, John Ralls wrote:
>>

>>> Why can't I:
>>>
>>> ( cd master-repo && git-svn-mirror )
>>>
>>> git clone --local -b <branch> master-repo branch-wc
>>> cd branch-wc
>>> git-update
>>> (do work)
>>> git commit  (do I need to do this? -- I'm guessing I do)
>>> git svn dcommit
>>
>> That's what I'm suggesting.
>
> It seemed like you were suggesting more than this.  Basically I'm asking
> if this would work:
>
> [SVN REPO] -(git svn)> [GIT SVN (master-repo)] -(git)> [branch wc]
>    ^                                                      |
>    +----------------- (git svn dcommit) ------------------+
>
> (where I would use either git-svn or git-svn-mirror in the first link,
> and use git svn dcommit to push back from the branch wc to SVN)

Yesterday you seemed to be saying that you would push back from the WC to
master, then dcommit from there.

>>       Note that git-svn-mirror can push to a
>> bare repo, but won't if one isn't specified with --git-repo. Git svn
>> operates on a working repo, and git-svn-mirror uses git svn
>> (via the perl API that's part of git) to fetch from the SVN repo. As long
>> as you always dcommit from your WC and use git-update to keep the refs
>> pointed
>> in the right place, it should work fine. The bare repo thing is there just
>> be able to work with Github or Gitolite. Git-svn-mirror will whine if
>> there's
>> nothing to push to, but it will still work OK.
>
> In my case there is no reason to have git-svn-mirror push to anything.  At
> least, I don't see any reason to push to anything.

The only reason you might make a bare repo is that you could then pull from that
to your laptop (with a mirror clone) and use that clone to feed your WCs. That
might save a bit of bandwidth when you're traveling, depending on how much
your co-workers commit on any given day.

Regards,
John Ralls