Release 2.5.3 crashes randomly

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 11 13:24:58 EDT 2013

On Thursday, 7/11/2013 11:00 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> In Windows 7 64 bit I had found a work-around to edit scheduled
>> transactions successfully, or so I thought.  I tried using it on a
>> different file and after the third scheduled transaction edit GnuCash
>> crashed in a seemingly random event.  Then, after re-starting GnuCash
>> 2.5.3 on the same file, GnuCash seemingly randomly crashed shortly after
>> having sat idle for several minutes in the background then resuming
>> activity of simple actions that had previously not caused problems as
>> far as I can recall.  For now I have reverted to 2.4.13, but before I
>> next find time to try 2.5.3 I wonder if others are experiencing crashes
>> that do not seem to be triggered by a specific user action.
> 2.5.x are testing releases.  They are bound to crash, and when they do
> we ask that you supply as much detail as posisble in order to best debug
> it.  Can you reproduce the crash?  If so, what does it take to reproduce
> it?  Your help in providing good instructions to reproducing crashers
> will help the developers fix them.  Ignoring the problem just means that
> once the stable 2.6 release comes out you'll probably still have the
> same issue, unless someone ELSE has hit the bug and done the work to
> help track it down.
>
>> David C
> -derek
I am hardly ignoring the problem.  I have jumped on each new release
soon after it hit the streets and tested it until I needed to go back to
my 'real' data and/or I found that certain actions that I did frequently
had no viable work-around to avoid crashing.  This time the crashes did
not seem to be directly the result of my actions, but rather the result
of something going on in the background or delayed by a very long time
so that I lost the association with my actions.  As I stated 'before
next time' I am planning to return when I have a large time window, and
I was looking for suggestions whether other knew what to check or avoid
when I do that.  I might even then have time to do a stack trace.

David C