no git patchset from .news files? (was Re: gnucash-htdocs branch master updated. svn_last-12-g3580119)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 11 16:47:18 EDT 2013

On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, July 11, 2013 2:37 pm, John Ralls wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>> The post-receive-email script is run from post-receive as follows:
>>  postrecmail="$PWD/hooks/post-receive-email"
>>  export envelopesender="$GL_USER"
>>
>>  # Send summary mail to gnucash-changes
>>  export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist1)"
>>  export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev1)"
>>  echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>>
>>  # Send full patches to gnucash-patches
>>  export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist2)"
>>  export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev2)"
>>  echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>>
>> What are the contents [hooks] block in the gnucash-htdocs bare repo's
>> config?
>
> [hooks]
> 	showrev2 = "git show -C %s; echo"
> 	mailinglist1 = gnucash-patches at gnucash.org
> 	showrev1 = git rev-list -1 --pretty %s

Thanks.
Hmm. When I run a small test script it works correctly, meaning that it outputs the email with the `git show -C` or `git rev-list -l --pretty` output properly displayed between $LOGBEGIN and $LOGEND.

>> IIRC the comments are reversed -- that full patches are supposed to
>> go to gnucash-changes and summaries to gnucash-patches, but that doesn't
>> have anything to do with what's actually going on.
>
> Yes, the comments are reversed.  Feel free to fix that.
>
>> I don't think a complete rewrite is necessary, just a tweak to the code
>> which writes the subject header: If there's only one change it can write
>> the first line to the subject, otherwise it can say something like "$repo
>> $branch received multiple commits".
>
> I'm fine with this, too.
>
>> A couple of other noise-reducing changes to consider:
>>
>> * Lose the "parent" URL. There's a link for it on the commit page.
>
> Which is the 'parent' URL?  Is that the 'from' line?

Yes.

>> * Suppress printing $LOGBEGIN and LOGEND (the lines with all the hyphens)
>> unless something's going to get printed between them -- or better yet,
>> just lose them. It's pretty obvious what's log, what's patch, and what's
>> summary. They don't need delimiting.
>
> I am fine with this change.

Which one? Suppress on no output (there's actually a fixme comment about that) or suppress altogether?

Regards,
John Ralls