no git patchset from .news files? (was Re: gnucash-htdocs branch master updated. svn_last-12-g3580119)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jul 12 12:40:55 EDT 2013

Op 11/07/13 21:09, Derek Atkins schreef:
> On Thu, July 11, 2013 2:37 pm, John Ralls wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> The post-receive-email script is run from post-receive as follows:
>>    postrecmail="$PWD/hooks/post-receive-email"
>>    export envelopesender="$GL_USER"
>>
>>    # Send summary mail to gnucash-changes
>>    export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist1)"
>>    export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev1)"
>>    echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>>
>>    # Send full patches to gnucash-patches
>>    export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist2)"
>>    export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev2)"
>>    echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>>
>> What are the contents [hooks] block in the gnucash-htdocs bare repo's
>> config?
> [hooks]
> 	showrev2 = "git show -C %s; echo"
> 	mailinglist1 = gnucash-patches at gnucash.org
> 	showrev1 = git rev-list -1 --pretty %s
>

>> IIRC the comments are reversed -- that full patches are supposed to
>> go to gnucash-changes and summaries to gnucash-patches, but that doesn't
>> have anything to do with what's actually going on.
> Yes, the comments are reversed.  Feel free to fix that.
I already had fixed this a while ago.

>> I don't think a complete rewrite is necessary, just a tweak to the code
>> which writes the subject header: If there's only one change it can write
>> the first line to the subject, otherwise it can say something like "$repo
>> $branch received multiple commits".
> I'm fine with this, too.
Will this still work for other mail sending scenarios ? Things like
adding a tag, or merging branches ?

>> A couple of other noise-reducing changes to consider:
>>
>> * Lose the "parent" URL. There's a link for it on the commit page.
> Which is the 'parent' URL?  Is that the 'from' line?
Personally the parent URL doesn't bother me. I think for fast-forward
pushes it is probably redundant, but the script also deals with merges
being pushed, where having the parent immediatly available may be handy.
I don't know for sure.

In any way the gnucash-htdocs repo will not really excercise the mail
script. We only have two essentially independent branches there, with a
very linear progression.

It may become more complicated once the main gnucash repository becomes
pure git.

>> * Suppress printing $LOGBEGIN and LOGEND (the lines with all the hyphens)
>> unless something's going to get printed between them -- or better yet,
>> just lose them. It's pretty obvious what's log, what's patch, and what's
>> summary. They don't need delimiting.
> I am fine with this change.
Those lines can be completely removed as far as I'm concerned.
>> * Lose the footer. "hooks/post-recieve" isn't information.
> Also fine with this.  Not sure why it is in there.
Same here.

Geert