Building GnuCash on openSUSE 12.3

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 19 19:17:37 EDT 2013

On Jul 19, 2013, at 12:53 PM, Herbert Thoma <herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Am 19.07.2013 17:23, schrieb John Ralls:

>>> I have a guile1.m4 in /usr/share/aclocal that was installed with the
>>> libguile1-devel package.
>>>
>>> I tried a symlink there (guile.m4 -> guile1.m4) but I still get
>>> the same error.
>>
>> Take a look in guile1.m4 to make sure the package maintainer didn't rename the macro to 	GUILE1_MODULE_AVAILABLE.
>> The symlink doesn't make any difference: Aclocal searches every file in it's path for macro definitions.
>
> Yes, that did the trick.
>
> Do we want to have some auto-detection for this? Do other distributions
> rename guile1 as well? Or can we expect that by the time 2.6 is ready
> guile2 and swig 2.0.10 will be widespread enough?

No, they'll only fiddle the macro if they're trying to support both Guile1 and 2, and Gnucash-2.5 supports Guile2 there's no real need for us to do anything, except that I need to get SWIG-2.0.10 on my various Linux VMs so that the release tarballs will work with Guile2. Since you're building from svn (or git), you should probably install SWIG-2.0.10 and use Guile2.

For non-developers it's not really our problem: If packagers do goofy things like that then they're also responsible for fiddling the macro calls as part of the patches they make for their distros. It's also somewhat difficult to predict whether they'll settle on a single hack or go off in all directions at once.

Regards,
John Ralls