r23044 - gnucash/trunk/src/engine - Introduce transaction setter xaccTransSetDatePostedSecsNormalized() that ignores the time-of-day part.

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Jun 13 23:39:06 EDT 2013

--On June 13, 2013 9:35:12 AM +0200 Christian Stimming
<christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> However, this is a perfect example to demonstrate that this usage of
> PostedDate time-of-day part is not so good. Up until now, some of the
> importers already set the time-of-day part, so their sorting might
> already be  totally off, compared to the book-closing txn.
> Effectively, the +12hours  offset in the PostedDate is being abused
> to signal the flag "This txn is a  book-closing txn". Instead of
> abusing the PostedDate for this, the flag should  rather be made
> explicit, which of course means that the sorting functions must
> check for this explicitly as well. Oh well.

Other accounting software that I use has the concept of the "13th
period" in a year for transactions of this sort.  I'm not sure how it
is implemented, but this is essentially a period that is after the end
of one year and before the beginning of the next.  Perhaps something
like this could be done in Gnucash to solve this problem.

            Mike