packaging/win32/install.sh fails with wget error

Randy Galbraith randy.galbraith at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:05:56 EDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to setup an environment to compile gnucash in Windows XP.
I have been following the instructions on the wiki where I get to the point
of running install.sh.  This results in an error dialog box appearing...

wget.exe - Unable To Locate Component

(X) This application has failed to start because msys-crypto-1.0.0.dll was
not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

My understanding of msys and mingw is shallow, since I normally work on
GNU/Linux.  So this is likely the issue.  After a bit of searching and
reading documentation I decided to run this command at the bash prompt:

mingw-get install msys-wget

That did seem to install this package, alas the error continued to happen.
I then added a set -x to install.sh to see how it ends...

+++
PATH='/C/Soft/tools/bin:.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/c/Program
Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/:/c/Soft/Git/cmd'
++ quiet /C/Soft/tools/wget --version
++ /C/Soft/tools/wget --version
++ quiet wget --version
++ wget --version
++ mkdir -p /C/Soft/tools/bin
++ tar -xjpf /C/Soft/downloads/wget-1.12-1-msys-1.0.13-bin.tar.bz2 -C
/C/Soft/tools
++ cp '/C/Soft/tools/*/*/wget.exe' /C/Soft/tools/bin
cp: cannot stat `/C/Soft/tools/*/*/wget.exe': No such file or directory

Here is a bit more research...

Randy at ANNAXP /c/Soft
$ find . -name wget.exe
./MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/wget.exe
./tools/bin/wget.exe

Randy at ANNAXP /c/Soft
$ tools/bin/wget.exe --version

Randy at ANNAXP /c/Soft
$ MinGW/msys/1.0/bin/wget.exe --version

The run from tools/bin results in error dialog.  The run from MinGW/msys...
results in a hang.

Any help is appreciated.  In any regards I'll get back with any further
discoveries and/or fixes.

Cheers,
-Randy