Feature discussion: Access restriction for gnucash files by password

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:45:11 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I know this goes beyond the measures you have described, but doesn't the
> > zip compression library include support for a password? What if (when
> using
> > compressed xml) GnuCash included the password when compressing and
> > uncompressing the file?
>
> We don't use 'zip', we use 'gzip'..  And I don't think it includes that
> "feature".
>
> -derek

Ooops thanks, and I apologize for the noise.

I mistakenly conflated several different concepts; password-protected zip
archives, gzip library, and the password feature of OpenOffice /
LibreOffice files (which are XML), but the password protection in those
files is apparently is much more robust and involved than I was aware of.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part3.html#__RefHeading__752811_826425813