Report system legacy

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jun 29 10:52:09 EDT 2013

On Jun 29, 2013, at 7:06 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> Thanks all for your feedback. I'll keep from this that duplicate names among custom reports are not desired. To which I agree.
>
> I originally asked this question in the scope of one of the bugs in the GnuCash bounty program:
> Allow saving of Custom Reports without changing name, overwriting existing report.
>
> Before I go into more detail, let me start with this: the current code is not able to prevent duplicate custom report names either. Don't believe me ? Try this:
> - open a new report
> - edit it's name in the report options and hit ok
> - edit it's name again, resetting it to the original name and hit ok
> - save the report
> You can do the same thing by creating a new report and changing its name to the name of any existing custom report. There is no validation on the name.
>
> So the unique name requirement is a new requirement, which I see independently of the bounty requirement of being able to resave changes to an existing report template. I hope we can agree on this. I do intend to look into this as well, but not right now.
>
> I have been massaging the reports code for about a week now to come up with a satisfactory solution. You can not imagine what a can of worms that code is...
>
> To make the rest of the discussion a little bit manageable, allow me to first make a distinction between reports and report templates: each menu option you see in the reports menu is a report template. The moment you open one such menu you instantiate one instance of such a template. This is a report. "Custom reports" are also report templates, which have a parent template and a set of custom options. When you open a "custom report" you create an instance of one template, hence you have a report again. When you "save" a report, what you really do is creating a template based on the parent template and the current set of options for this report. In this discussion, we're constantly on this edge between report templates and reports.
>
> While looking at the custom reports code I found several issues with it, not only the inconvenience of having to change the name all the time before resaving. I came to the conclusion that simply adding a dialog box asking if a report should be overwritten is only shifting the problem to the next annoyance.
>
> Since I would be working on this code anyway, I wanted to eliminate several of these annoyances at once.
>
> So I worked from the file system metaphor that was already referred to in this discussion. Most programs have two Save options: simply Save and then Save As. You use the first to save your changes to an existing file, you use the second when you want to save your changes in another file. This is much more in line with how humans think than the current custom reports logic where you first have to change a name and only then can save it.

> [...]

Is there really a Report class? Isn't a Report an HTML page that results from running the ReportTemplate's query, any summarizing functions, and its display logic? Reports aren't saved, right? When one loads a Book with open reports, isn't the
ReportTemplate retrieved and the Report HTML regenerated?

Where I'm going with this is that if a report is if a Report is open it will just sit there until the user tries to reload it (which would include loading a Book with an open report). If the ReportTemplate is changed, the Report gets re-created based on the new ReportTemplate, right? If the ReportTemplate is gone, which is currently possible if one deletes a "custom report" in the dialog box, I would hope that Gnucash displays a nice "Can't find the Report" in the HTML page rather than crashing.

So for your rename problem, don't allow renaming TemplateB to TemplateA: Require the user to explicitly delete TemplateA. Don't change the GUID for TemplateB, and retrieve report specs by GUID rather than name. The behavior for open Reports based on TemplateA is then the same as it is now (unless it crashes Gnucash, which should be fixed first).

Regards,
John Ralls