Report system legacy

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 29 12:25:43 EDT 2013

On Saturday, 6/29/2013 10:38 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On 29-06-13 16:52, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2013, at 7:06 AM, Geert Janssens
>> <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks all for your feedback. I'll keep from this that duplicate
>>> names among custom reports are not desired. To which I agree.
>>>
>>> I originally asked this question in the scope of one of the bugs in
>>> the GnuCash bounty program:
>>> Allow saving of Custom Reports without changing name, overwriting
>>> existing report.
>>>
>>> Before I go into more detail, let me start with this: the current
>>> code is not able to prevent duplicate custom report names either.
>>> Don't believe me ? Try this:
>>> - open a new report
>>> - edit it's name in the report options and hit ok
>>> - edit it's name again, resetting it to the original name and hit ok
>>> - save the report
>>> You can do the same thing by creating a new report and changing its
>>> name to the name of any existing custom report. There is no
>>> validation on the name.
>>>
>>> So the unique name requirement is a new requirement, which I see
>>> independently of the bounty requirement of being able to resave
>>> changes to an existing report template. I hope we can agree on this.
>>> I do intend to look into this as well, but not right now.
>>>
>>> I have been massaging the reports code for about a week now to come
>>> up with a satisfactory solution. You can not imagine what a can of
>>> worms that code is...
>>>
>>> To make the rest of the discussion a little bit manageable, allow me
>>> to first make a distinction between reports and report templates:
>>> each menu option you see in the reports menu is a report template.
>>> The moment you open one such menu you instantiate one instance of
>>> such a template. This is a report. "Custom reports" are also report
>>> templates, which have a parent template and a set of custom options.
>>> When you open a "custom report" you create an instance of one
>>> template, hence you have a report again. When you "save" a report,
>>> what you really do is creating a template based on the parent
>>> template and the current set of options for this report. In this
>>> discussion, we're constantly on this edge between report templates
>>> and reports.
>>>
>>> While looking at the custom reports code I found several issues with
>>> it, not only the inconvenience of having to change the name all the
>>> time before resaving. I came to the conclusion that simply adding a
>>> dialog box asking if a report should be overwritten is only shifting
>>> the problem to the next annoyance.
>>>
>>> Since I would be working on this code anyway, I wanted to eliminate
>>> several of these annoyances at once.
>>>
>>> So I worked from the file system metaphor that was already referred
>>> to in this discussion. Most programs have two Save options: simply
>>> Save and then Save As. You use the first to save your changes to an
>>> existing file, you use the second when you want to save your changes
>>> in another file. This is much more in line with how humans think
> [...]
I didn't think that I had anything to add to this discussion, but while
I was reading these last three items I was reminded that one of my pet
peeves with reports (not just in GnuCash) is both the lack of
availability of a complete auditor friendly list of the settings used to
generate that particular report and possibly an audit trail of changes
to the report settings when a report is generated from some sort of
template that has been used before.

Would it be possible have an option to print with a given report a page
or two appendix listing the report settings?

David C