Multi-page invoices

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Mar 2 09:56:28 EST 2013

Op 02-03-13 14:26, R. Victor Klassen schreef:
> CSS allows us to a) forbid an object from being broken at a page
> boundary, [which is the most egregious error] and b) force a page
> break before an object.   What it doesn't do (that I can find) is
> create a repeated head matter for the top of every subsequent page
> (which would normally be an abbreviated version of what's on the first
> page), or create an abbreviated footer for the bottom of every page
> (page numbering).
It can, provided you are using css version 3. There are special css
attributes for this (see [1] for an example). Now I don't know if our
version of webkit supports these. That would have to be investigated.

> So creating an invoice (or whatever report) without pages breaking in
> the middle of table cells is doable.  Making a professional looking
> multi-page invoice is more challenging.

That really depends on what webkitgtk supports in css3 features.
> As far as platform independence, /ideally, /there would be a query to
> the system to know the page size.  In practice, a hack that would
> work, but be less pretty would be to allow the user to set the page
> size as part of firing off the invoice running system.   And only
> slightly less pretty would be to assume USLetter, since that's a
> little shorter than A4, and would result in a little extra margin on
> A4 but would work for both.  Then it wouldn't work for A3 or B sizes,
> or for USLegal - in the sense that it wouldn't fill the page.   Not
> much of an issue for invoices.  For invoices, it also wouldn't work
> for smaller sizes, which might be an issue for some folks.

GnuCash uses Gtk's printer api, which should be cross-platform [2]. I'm
pretty sure you will find some function in there that can tell you the
appropriate page size (and margins) at the right time in the print workflow.

Geert

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9729461/creating-page-headers-and-footers-using-css-for-print
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/2.24/Printing.html