Base And Gnucash

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Thu May 2 23:47:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM, <blfs at comcast.net> wrote:

> Huh????? What??????
>

> It is inappropriate for GNUcash to interact with OpenOffice?

That is not what Derek said.

He said it is inappropriate to discuss replicating GnuCash's functionality
here.  I'd tend to agree.

> The debate between canned accounting systems and open systems is well
> known.

Not to me it isn't.  This is the first I've heard of a debate between
canned accounting systems and open systems where OpenOffice is considered
an "accounting system" (open, canned, or otherwise).

For that matter, I'm not sure what *your* definitions of the terms
"canned", "open", and "accounting system" are.

> Is GNUcash designed to be a canned system? What would be the purpose for
> open source software to
> be a black box?

There are plenty, plenty of pieces of open source software which are
effectively black boxes to folks not versed in the field.  It is possible
that, with time, effort, and study, I could come to understand how gcc
works, but effectively, it's a black box to me.  Same with OpenOffice.
 It's inner workings are a black box to me.  What makes them open source is
that I am allowed to open that black box, peer in, figure out how it works
(or hire someone to do that for me), and twiddle with it, if I so choose.

But there is no way that it is a requirement that different open source
software need talk with each other.  How does OpenOffice interact with
Firefox?  Or gcc?  Or SuperTuxCart?  I bet poorly in all cases.

But let me ask you a direct question:  What is it that you want to do,
using OpenOffice Base, that you can't do using GnuCash?  What concrete need
is not being fulfilled?  "Pretty much worthless to me", and "easily modify
the code for their needs" is very vague.