Time for 2.5.1

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 8 14:37:46 EDT 2013

On 5/8/2013 10:07 AM, Robert Fewell wrote:
> David,
>
> Thank you for testing, I am a little confused by your last update. As I
> have pointed out on the bug mentioned, I am only interested in the new
> registers which all have the vertical status line and the columns can be
> moved so you can move it at your pleasure.
>
> Sub account registers do not allow changes, the status line is all red so
> find it perplexing that you are trying to edit one !
>
> In the Schedule editor, the default behaviour is to use the old style
> register view so to use the new style you need to use the menu option
> 'scheduled->New2 and Edit2' which also have the vertical status column.
> This may change in the next release. What problems are you having ?
>
> Regards,
>
>       Robert

I am confused too.  Using GnuCash 2.5.1 I opened a file that I have been
editing forever with older versions of Gnucash.  That file has many
register windows left open from previous use.  In retrospect I was
confused by thinking that all those windows were in the new register
view because I no longer saw any option to open then in the new
register2 view but there was an option to open in the old view.

(When I mention the old behavior my intent is simply to use it as a
reference for comparison.)

Then, there was a search window created by the since last run assistant,
so from there I selected a transaction, right clicked and selected the
Schedule option.  This opened the scheduled transaction (I think) in the
new view.  When I tried to edit it GnuCash crashed.

I restarted GnuCash, went to the chart of accounts, created a new
sub-account of a fixed asset account.  Then I opened the fixed asset
account in the sub-account view(not Old Sub-account view).  There were
no red areas other than the highlighted field that alternates between
blue and red background depending on whether I am actively editing to
show the status of the highlight or focus, or whatever in this
particular theme.  It was possible to start an edit but again GnuCash
crashed.  If the vertical line was supposed to be red, it definitely was
not.

I thought that both of those incidents were artifacts of incomplete code
updates to those types of registers in the new view, since this is a
work in progress, so I only mentioned them in passing.

Now I have re-installed 2.5.1 and re-opened that same file.  I returned
to the same asset account and re-opened it in the sub-account view.  It
does appear to be in the register2 view judging by the different
titles.  there is no red anywhere on the page other than a few negative
numbers here and there.  It appears that I can edit some fields if I
left click on them, but I have not tried to commit an edit yet.

Now in a register2 view of a credit card account transaction that has
multiple split lines in that account, as you pointed out, the
transaction does only appear once in the Auto-split view.  However, if I
right click on it and select the choice 'Schedule..' the scheduled
transaction does open in the register2 view.  There is no
scheduled->new2 or edit2 option in the right click drop-down list.
Attempting an edit again crashed Gnucash.

I agree that we need to be on the same page so I am trying to describe
my testing as completely as possible.  Otherwise we are both spinning
our wheels.

Is this enough for now?

David C