ChangeLog love

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Thu May 16 16:30:25 EDT 2013

Am Donnerstag, 16. Mai 2013, 12:53:16 schrieb John Ralls:

> >> I'll go further: It makes far more sense for release tarballs to just
> >> have a digest of important changes in NEWS. We might have to fiddle
> >> autogen.sh to not whine about ChangeLog if we delete it, but let's do
> >> it. The whole ChangeLog thing comes from a time long ago when version
> >> control systems didn't have good logging. ChangeLog was where commit
> >> messages went. It's totally redundant nowadays.
> >
> > I like something between these two extremes.  My personal model for the
> > best way to handle changelogs is BBEdit [1] from Barebones, although
> > doing it the way they do will take someone some time.  They manually
> > list all significant changes in a release with a very short summary
> > (sometimes humorous) of each change.  I don't know, but I suspect that
> > these are entered when someone checks in a change or closes a bug
> > report rather than all at once at release time.  I like this because it
> > quickly tells me what's new and whether the bug that has been annoying
> > me is fixed.>
> >        Mike
> >
> > [1] <http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/arch_bbedit1053.html>
>
> That looks like a digest: It's missing all of the "oops" commits that show
> up in a raw log. I usually do something similar in NEWS when I do a
> release, except that I separate design changes and bug fixes into separate
> sections. That follows a pattern of NEWS files I found when I started doing
> releases last year.

When we set up the ChangeLog generation a few years ago, we noticed that the
NEWS entries took quite some amount of work to be written together. The basic
problem is always that it takes manual work to summarize the bunch of commits
that belong together into single summary entries. At the time we said we'd
give up on this work and simply list all commits from the SVN log.
Unfortunately I still don't see a better solution at hand that doesn't require
a lot of manual work. Either we list everything, or someone needs to write a
list manually... If anyone (John?) volunteers to do the manual writing for
some time to come, that's fine and we should do that. But if there's nobody
volunteering for the manual list, I'd just stick to the automatic ChangeLog
for the releases and that's it.

Oh, and yes, it's purely meant for the release tarballs. There's no point for
those logs in anything except the released source tarballs. (And I don't care
if we change the format - any format is just fine.)

Regards,

Christian