Bugzilla default/QA assignees

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat May 18 12:39:26 EDT 2013

On May 18, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 May 2013 08:54:56 John Ralls wrote:
>

> On May 18, 2013, at 2:04 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>
> On Monday 18 February 2013 17:09:20 John Ralls wrote:
> > The default assignee field is mostly used to determine who gets bugmail for
> > a particular component. Some of the assignments make sense, like having me
> > be the default for Mac bugs, some not so much, like Chris Shoemaker for
> > budget bugs: He hasn't been around for a long time.
> >
> > It also makes it hard for non-bugzilla-admins to set themselves up for
> > bugmail on new bugs, because the mechanism for doing so is to "watch"
> > another user. Watching a real user means that you get bug mail not only for
> > the bugs that that user is the default assignee,QA contact, or added to the
> > CC list, but also for every bug that user comments on. Not really useful
> > unless you're a stalker.
> >
> > The mainstream Gnome approach is to have fake users for default assignees;
> > for example, the Gtk Quartz backend has gtk-quartz-maint at gnome.bugs, which
> > I watch so that I get bug mail for any of those. I propose doing the same
> > for our gnucash components, with a per-component address for default
> > assignee and a gnucash-bugs address for QA assignee to make it easy to get
> > all bugmail.
> >
> > I'll change the components, but I can't create the users because I don't
> > have privs for doing that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

> This idea was launched a couple of months back. I still think it's a good one. What needs to be done to get it set up ? Who should we contact to create these dummy users ?
>
> If no one has the privs, then the procedure is to file a bug against bugzilla [1]. But I would think someone must have more privs
> than I do, at least to grant developer status and to assign users to the Gnucash-developers group. I can only search.
> Is there a Gnucash "bugmaster"?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

> [1] https://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/ForMaintainers -- last line on the page.
>

> I can search and edit users that are found by the query. Via this way I can add users to the Gnucash-developers group. I'd expect you to be able to do the same though.

Ah, that's how that works. Yes, I can do that as well.

> I can't create new users though. But perhaps we can fake this if one of us has control over the gnucash.org mail domain (Derek or Linas ?). In that case we can
> - temporarily create new e-mail aliases in that domain,
> - use these to register the dummy accounts we want on bugzilla
> - drop the mail aliases again or pipe mail they receive to /dev/null
> If not, we'll have to ask the bugzilla maintainer team nicely.

I'll file a bug with the bug squad to get the dummy ids. I don't like the hack with gnucash.org mail addresses, and it's better
to do something like this the right way.

What ids do we want? I suggest:

core (engine, backends, budgets, build, python, SX, general)
import (also export)
UI (register, general UI)
business
reports (includes check printing)
mac
win
documentation (includes translation & website)

Regards,
John Ralls