Navigation 2.5.1

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue May 21 16:41:53 EDT 2013

--On May 21, 2013 8:46:38 AM -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> On May 21, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> How hard would it be to limit the number of rows to 3 pages, and to
>>> load more on a scroll event? We'll want that behavior down the road
>>> for real database operation so that we're not read-locking every
>>> split in the active account.
>>
>> Also a good idea, but what does that imply for the "Home" and "End"
>> keys?  Would that only get you to the beginning/end of the
>> currently-loaded data, or to the absolute beginning/end of all your
>> data?
>
> Since the code hasn't yet been written, it could go either way. I'd
> prefer the latter. I suspect most users would as well.

Back when I was doing commercial software development, I wrote code to
do that for displaying tables in an XML editor.  It was an interesting
challenge given that the table could have thousands of rows, and any
cell could span an arbitrary number of them.  This case, wehre every
row is the same, would be easier.  It's definitely the case that this
should be transparent to the end user.  Home and End keys should work
the same with or without this optimization.

           Mike