Proposed feature requests on uservoice: Do we want them, or decline them?

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri May 24 01:17:10 EDT 2013

On Mon, 06 May 2013 23:47:32 +0200
Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> But my point is that the uservoice feedback gives us a strong hint
> about the things that are really important to the users. Those are
> most likely different from what us developers considered important. I
> would love to see us taking the user's priorities seriously here. And
> by taking the user's needs seriously, we might also find that the
> implementation to meet this very needs can be chosen differently and
> maybe simpler than what we initially thought.

I certainly agree with it...but, not being GC coder myself cannot complain much
if something is not implemented.

> In those cases where the "real user needs" can be fulfilled by
> relatively simple implementations, I'd like to see those
> implementations be added to gnucash. For this reason I think all 10
> of the above are valid feature requests. We should try to get them
> implemented. Maybe not in the full-blown glory that some of the
> comments there were hoping for, but some parts of the features can be
> done and should be done.

I didn't put my votes on that list, but having needs for some more business-
related features which could help freelancers, let me mention two items which
*might* be helpful and not too hard to implement:

1) Proforma (quotation) invoices
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/suggestions/1758239

This could be very useful addition eliminating the need to use  3rd party
(mostly web-based) PHP apps to do it 'cause GC is already doing the major part.

2) user-generated custom reports
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/suggestions/2381349

Ability to make it easier for end-user to tweak/customize reports, mostly for
invoices has been a topic discussed quite often.

I know there is e-guile, but it seems it never expanded much.

Otoh, there are some attempts to solve it (it via Python bindings), and I must
say that, yes, I consider python more user-friendly for end-user...

The two possible solutions which may need some more work are:

a) https://github.com/n1ywb/jeffs-gnucash-utils

b) https://github.com/loftx/gnucash-rest

so I wonder if there is some interest to take those ideas and develop them
further to bring some more report customization capabilities to GC for 2.6?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Many, many births both you and I have passed. I can remember
all of them, but you cannot, O subduer of the enemy!