Git repository mail notifications

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 28 12:22:42 EDT 2013

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> 1. There seems to be an encoding issue somewhere. This is visible in
> the notification mail for the "svn_last" tag I generated: Andreas
> Köhler is displayed as Andreas Köhler I'll see if I can fix this.

I also noticed this in a patch with the copyright symbol.  It certainly
looks like an encoding issue.  I hope I didn't misconfigure something?
Root's default locale is LANG=en_US.UTF-8, so I can only assume that
would be the same for the git user, but I'm not 100% sure.

> 2. I created a tag "svn_last" to mark the last commit in history that
> is still in sync with our now read-only svn repository. An unexpected
> side effect of this is that each subsequent notification message now
> starts with this tag in the subject line. Before, the subject started
> with the last commit's hashref.  I do actually prefer the tag
> usage. It gives an idea of what base the commit is starting from.  On
> the other hand "svn_last" is not really descriptive for the current
> state of the website. So I probably should add two more tags (on on
> the master branch and one on the beta branch).  I'm just wondering
> what would make sensible tags for the website ? We don't really do
> "releases" there. So a v2.4.x doesn't really make sense. What would ?
> "stable" ? "prod" ?  "main" ? ...

Neither.  I would prefer that the "last tag" not be included at all.  I
see no reason to include it in the email, because IMHO it doesn't
provide any real useful information.  As a point of information, the
MythTV project have subject lines that look like:

  mythtv branch devel/logging updated by danielk. v0.27-pre2-1194-gce1462b
  packaging branch master updated by nigel. v0.26-33-ge758033
  mythtv branch master updated by paulh. v0.27-pre2-1124-ge48d898

The first symbol is the repo (in our case gnucash, gnucash-htdocs, etc).
Then "branch" and the branch-name.  Then the operation (updated) and the
user (by ...).  And then it looks like there's a tag+commit-version.
I'm not 100% sure how that's created by them.  The decimal-looking
number is definitely an incremental, because I saw some commits with
sequentials.  So it looks like it's "tag"-"some sequence"-g"git-shorthash"