Peanut gallery comment. Was: Gnucash reports

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue May 28 09:28:51 EDT 2013

On 05/23/2013 06:23 PM, Peter Broadbery wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> I've taken your suggestions and rebased the code into a new branch,
> pab/topic/report-rewrite/v3.

I'm quietly beavering away in the background trying to get sufficiently
familiar with the Gnucash code to actually contribute to some of these
conversations.  But I notice that several folks already have the
reporting infrastructure cut open on the table.  I thought I'd toss out
a few relatively simple (hah! conceptually, at least) report features
which would hugely ease the running of our hackerspace.  I infer that
other humans would be able to use the features too.

Simplest:  "Fire a report from the command line".  Absolute minimum data
from the command line, no need to be able to tweak all the details.
Customer ID, target filename and that's it

gnucash --run-customer-report="report-name"
--output-filename="/path/file.html"  --customer-id="000003"

If you want fancy specialness, define a customized report in the
interactive GUI, and refer to it by name.

Next simplest:  "Run this report for all [active] customers"

--output-dir="/path/dir/"

and then you'd wind up with

000003.html
000005.html

etc.

I find the gnucash engine fairly comfortable, but coming out of
GNUspace, it makes me twitch that it's so very difficult to modify or
automate the operations of the engine.  I want to get to the point at
which I can help change that.

- Allen S. Rout