Comments Regarding New 2.5.x Register

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 30 08:25:08 EDT 2013

On 5/30/2013 12:12 AM, David T. wrote:
> David--
>
> I am on OS X Mountain Lion, as originally noted.
>
> It is implied, but I have been using colored account tabs for several years myself; apparently, this feature has disappeared in the development release of 2.5.2.
>
> Since this development release has only been out for a couple of days, I doubt you're talking about seeing this feature in this version for a couple of years. Are you able to see colored tabs in 2.5.2?
>
> David (T.)
(snip)
>> David,
>>
>> What OS are you using for your tests?  In Windows I have seen colored
>> tabs above the register window for a couple of years now, and now the
>> colors also appear in the accounts window.
>>
>> Apparently your build does not have the missing entry points that the
>> Windows build has.
>>
>> David C
>> <0xDC7C8BF3.asc>_______________________________________________
>> gnucash-devel mailing list
>> gnucash-devel at gnucash.org

David T,

I missed that original note.  As I recall, the tabs are still colored in
the Windows 2.5.2 release, but the build errors have crippled it  to the
extent that I cannot test it, so I am back on 2.4.13.  Like you, I found
the response time dramatically improved, but still slower than 2.4.13.

BTW*, the General Ledger only contains recent transactions in my file in
both of the Windows builds  2.4.13 and 2.5.2.  It seems that somewhere
along the line I must have set the filter for the GL to show only
transactions after 04-30-2013, although I do not recall doing that.  I
thought that all register filters were cleared when the file was closed,
so I never checked it..  Am I wrong about that?

How's that for a segue?

IMHO* I think that if any register view filter is retentive, then the
filter active status should appear somewhere in the window of every
affected register view.  I would prefer it to appear in or near the
column titles, but the bottom bar near the activity indicator would also
work for me.  It also should be flagged visually somehow in the register
tab, without adding more clutter to the tab.  Perhaps a symbol (choose
one, tilde, perhaps, also with contrasting background/foreground colors)
next to the 'plus' that appears in tabs for accounts with sub-accounts
views.

Further, then each filtered view should have it's own tab in the tab
bar, and multiple views of the same account should be so identified and
allowed.  This would, however, complicate the decision of which view to
go to when a jump to account is requested.  Maybe only one filtered view
should be allowed, and/or a jump would default to an unfiltered view, if
no filtered view is available.  Currently, jumps never go to views with
sub-accounts.

David C

* I am finally trying out some of the new vocabulary that is becoming
common in emails and (shudder) text messages LOL.