Number to Words and licencing

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 21:45:54 EST 2013

In the US at least it is customary to write out the amount and put it in
digits.  My checkbook in front of me has a form like:

Pay to the order of _________________________________________________ $
______
_______________________________________________________________ Dollars

I am expected to fill it out as:

Pay to the order of _John Smith_____________________________________
 $123.45
_One Hundred Twenty Three and 45

I would never expect that second line to be "One-Two-Three and Four-Five
Cents".  I believe I have seen some computer-generated checks which would
fill out the second line as "123.45****************" and not bother
converting it to spelled-out numbers.

I once made out a check for the amount "Twenty Even" and got charged $27,
so the amount in English does get read, even if incorrectly.  The rule is
that if the number (the $123.45) and the text (the "one hundred...")
disagree, the text takes precedent.