Announcement: GnuCash 2.5.7 (Unstable) Release 2013-11-04

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 4 16:24:58 EST 2013

On Nov 4, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for pushing the release. It is another step closer to 2.6, with
> additional bugfixes and polish.
>
> There are a few things in the release announcement that are not
> completely accurate (any more):
>
> - The settings migration tool will only run once as of 2.5.7. It is no
> longer necessary to move the .gnucash directory out of the way.
>
> - Not all preferences will be migrated. This still stands. However the
> settings that are not migrated now will never be. I don't consider
> window positions and sizes, sort orders and the like to be "preferences"
> but state information. This is not migrated, but it will be stored
> automatically the next time you run gnucash (albeit the defaults, not
> what was stored as "preferences" before 2.5.6). The only piece still
> missing is sort order and filters for the register pages. In any case,
> the warning as it is written now is no longer correct.
>
> - Fix for Python site-packages not found when not installed to default
> location. This is not implemented yet. Mike Evans applied to patches in
> an effort to fix this, but removed them again later on because the
> patches needed work.
>
> - Lastly: the announcement mentions "string freeze isn't planned until
> the 2.5.7 release in early September." I suspect this version number is
> automatically updated by a find and replace. In any case 2.5.7 is
> released early November. The more important question is though: does
> this stand ? Are we ready for string freeze ? If so, I think we'd better
> announce that formally as well.

Geert,

Thanks for the corrections. I’ve pushed a corrected News item for the website.

As for string freeze, if we’re going to ship 2.6 in December I think we should
declare both string and feature freeze now: Bug fixes only until we branch 2.6
sometime around March. I replaced the string freeze line in the announcement with
saying that it’s imminent, and I can add another news item announcing the freeze
when you agree.

Regards,
John Ralls