Backport identification after Git switch

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Nov 23 13:04:51 EST 2013

The current guidance in the Wiki [1] (which I just copied to [2]) is to put the SVN revision number of the trunk commit in the backport's commit message. That's still legitimate guidance until we switch, but what should we do in the future? Short SHA1?

Do we want to keep the [rev-id] Subject format or should we just say to use `git cherry-pick -x`, which adds the line "Backported from <SHA1>" to the end of the commit message?

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Subversion#Backport_Rules
[2] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git#Backport_Rules