Asserts due to clobbered free memory

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Oct 19 21:54:29 EDT 2013

I'm getting crashes in GnuCash with an error like

gnucash(59868,0x7fff7e813180) malloc: *** error for object
0x7f950b29e008: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was
probably modified after being freed.

I'm running the X11 version on MacOSX 10.8.5 and I just updated to the
current head version.  I have been getting these for a while and was
hoping that updating would make them go away, but I just got another
one.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm running an optimized version of
GnuCash so I'm sort of surprised that malloc is making these checks.
One "solution" would be to figure out how to turn it off, but I suspect
there is a real problem here somewhere.

           Mike