Allowing the user to select the currency symbol

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Oct 24 08:35:27 EDT 2013

On Friday 04 October 2013 01:39:17 Frédéric Perrin wrote:
> Le jeudi 26 à 17:21, Derek Atkins a écrit :
> >> And the complexity of "I'll store in (GConf|the data file) one
> >> user-defined field per currency" seems much lower than "I'll store
> >> enough data to recreate the entire currency at data-file load time"
> >> ;
> >> I don't think I can acheive the second.
> >
> > Actually, the second is already there.  You just need to extend the
> > data object and extend the existing UI.
> >
> > Internally GnuCash treats a Currency like a special-case of of a
> > Commodity. So you can leverage all the Commodity editing tools to
> > add
> > a Currency Editing tool. Et Voila.
>
> You're right, after getting over my fear of GTK and actually diving
> into the code, it was not too hard to do. We now have one more field
> in the commodity editor, that allow setting the currency symbol.
>
> First draft of the code is at http://code.fperrin.net/gnucash.git,
> branch symbols-per-file (gitweb browser at
> http://gitweb.fperrin.net/?p=gnucash.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/symbo
> ls-per-file). File backends other than XML are not supported, and I'm
> note sure how the user_symbol interacts with non-currency
> commodities.
>
> Of course, a small screenshot :
> http://brol.fperrin.net/gnucash/currency-editor-symbol.png

I have committed your code to svn. Thank you for the patches.

What I found missing is the part about default symbols in the iso-4217-currencies file. There
are no default symbols as far as I can see. Do you plan to implement this in a future patch ?

I agree with David T. that duplicate symbols in that file are not really a problem. If a user uses
two currencies that have the same default symbol, s/he can use the commodities editor to set a
different one.

Geert