Allowing the user to select the currency symbol

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Oct 24 15:55:19 EDT 2013

On Thursday 24 October 2013 21:37:58 Frédéric Perrin wrote:
> Le jeudi 24 à 14:35, Geert Janssens a écrit :
> > What I found missing is the part about default symbols in the
> > iso-4217-currencies file. There are no default symbols as far as I
> > can see. Do you plan to implement this in a future patch ?
>
> The only default symbol is for gnc_locale_default_currency(), in which
> case we use the symbol given by localeconv(3).
>
> The choice for the symbol is:
> 1- explicitely set (by data file / commodity editor)
> 2- if national currency, localeconv()->currency_symbol
> 3- the mnemonic
>
> (see app-utils/gnc-ui-utils.c:gnc_commodity_get_nice_symbol(); should
> this maybe be moved to gnc-commodity.c?)
>
> > I agree with David T. that duplicate symbols in that file are not
> > really a problem. If a user uses two currencies that have the same
> > default symbol, s/he can use the commodities editor to set a
> > different one.
>
> Implementing David's suggestion would also mean the choice for the
> symbol be simpler. I think that would be just adding one line in
> iso-currencies-to-c, a call to gnc_commodity_set_yser_symbol.
I'd say go for it when you find the time...

> Can't
> try right now, my build just failed with «
> libgncmod-register-gnome.so: undefined reference to
> `gnc_gconf_get_int' » and I don't have time tonight to investigate.

If you're working from latest trunk, gnc_gconf_get_int should be replaced with
gnc_prefs_get_int (and you need to include gnc-prefs.h instead of gnc-gconf-utils.h).

We're not using gconf anymore since 2.5.6. Does this call to gnc_gconf_get_int come from code
you added yourself ?

Geert