GnuCash OFX import not matching accounts of same ID

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 06:12:56 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,
I am having some reports from users of the GnuCash Android app that import
of the OFX accounts into GnuCash desktop does not work seamlessly. GnuCash
does not seem to be able to resolve the accounts even though there exists
an account in the GnuCash desktop with the same ID.

I am wondering if GnuCash uses any other metrics (other than the ID) to
match the accounts, e.g. like the type of Account (Checking, savings, bank
etc) or something else which I'm not aware of.

Also the OFX format specifies that the account ID should be made up of up
to 22 characters. GnuCash account IDs are typically longer and are
maintained during import and export.

Does the GnuCash OFX importer trim the IDs during import somehow? This
would make it impossible to match accounts.

In my testing for example, I observe this because the importer asks to
select an account for
"Unknown OFX checking account 'Bank account 2270a4f5bba10cda9477b56'".
However the account in the exported file and in GnuCash itself has the ID:
2270a4f5bba10cda9477b56285ebc82b

Any suggestions on what's happening and how to remedy it?

Thanks,
Ngewi