GnuCash OFX import not matching accounts of same ID

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 4 10:31:59 EDT 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 7:04 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't believe the OFX importer will use any account IDs to match
>> against account GUIDs at all.  There was no expectation that the
>> importer would be used this way when it was written, so AFAIK, unless
>> you added code to implement it, the importer does what it always does
>> which is match based on user input/assignment.  Once the user assigns
>> the account then it will remember that based on information in the OFX.
>>

> Doesn't that depend upon which account one is talking about? IIRC an
> OFX contains information about a single account, for which the
> importer maps between the external account and the GUID.

The importer does map the OFX Account ID to the GNC Account, but it does
not expect the OFX Account ID to be the GNC Account GUID so it doesn't
shortcut the manual mapping involved.

>    Balancing
> accounts (mostly income and expense) are matched from the Bayesian
> matcher.

This is true, too..  There is no "OFX Account ID" to match against for
the 'far' accounts.

> Ngewi, the problem may be because some users are trying to use OFX
> both to obtain transactions from GCfA and from their banks, and if the
> two don't use the same number, the user must re-associate every
> time. I'm speculating, but it may be that the importer can store only
> one OFX mapping per account.

This is true, too. If you are importing OFX for GNC account A from your
bank and also from the Android App, GnuCash can only store a single OFX
AccountID map for the account.  So it will overwrite the mapping every
time you swap.