Building from git on OS X

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Sep 30 12:34:34 EDT 2013

On Sep 30, 2013, at 8:01 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> I am at a point I'd like to test my gsettings work on Windows
> and OS X.
>
> For Windows I can be short: I can build my private gsettings
> branch just fine, but no settings are saved or restored :(
> Investigation is ongoing.
>
> I now want to run the same test on OS X. I have been looking
> at the instructions again to build on OS X. It allows to build
> gnucash-stable, gnucash-unstable and gnucash-svn. However,
> my changes are in a local git repository. How can I use that one
> to build from ?

There's a gnucash-git module in the moduleset, so you can just build gnucash-git the same way you'd
build gnucash-svn. I guess that your repo is on your Linux box, not your Mac. There are a couple of
choices for building from your existing repo:

* Let it complete, then cd to the new git repo in ~/gtk/sources/gnucash-git, add your other repo as a remote,
and pull in the gsettings branch, then rebuild.

* Edit gnucash.modules to add your local repo and change the repo in the gnucash-git module to point to it.
   At the top, in the repo block, add:
     <repository type="git" name="my-git"
	      href="myLinuxHost:/path/to/directory/containing/gnucash/repo"/>

  And in the gnucash-git module, make repo="my-git" and module="gnucash" (or whatever the dirname
of the repo is).

If I guessed wrong and you're actually set up my way, using a Mac as your only machine and Linux
and M$Win in VMs, then you can just move the repo to ~/gtk/sources/gnucash-git. You'll have to
change the URLs on the VM's checkouts, of course.

I used the default checkout root (~/gtk/sources) above, but you can change it by adding the line
 checkoutroot="/path/to/where/you/want"
to your .jhbuildrc-custom.

Let me know if you have any issues; I'll be on the IRC channel in an hour or so.

Regards,
John Ralls