Obsolete function yahoo-get-historical-quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Wed Apr 23 22:52:07 EDT 2014

On Apr 23, 2014, at 9:31 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Geert,
>
> Am 23.04.2014 14:57, schrieb Geert Janssens:
>> I stumbled upon this function while evaluating the patch on
>> Bug 726164 guile-www-2.37 compatibility [1].
>>
>> yahoo-get-historical-quotes turns out to be the only consumer of the
>> guile-www module the bug is referring to. However I can't find any part
>> of the gnucash code that actually is using this function. As far as I
>> can tell it's a relic from the time that gnucash was still primarily
>> coded in guile.
>>
>> I'm about to remove this function unless someone shouts ?
>
> I don't know, if it ever worked, but in my eyes it would be a nice to have.

There are thousands of lines of "Nice to have but never quite implemented" in GnuCash. They make GnuCash harder to maintain, bigger than it needs to be, and sometimes as here drag in dependencies to no useful purpose. It's cruft, and we need to get rid of it.

Don't ask, just delete. Every line of code is immortal in the VCS and can be brought back if someone needs it for an actual feature. Until that time, it's just in the way.

Regards,
John Ralls