segfaults when running graphical reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Apr 25 09:22:48 EDT 2014

On Thursday 24 April 2014 18:05:59 Mike Alexander wrote:
> --On April 24, 2014 2:48:29 PM -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
>
> wrote:
> > It disables calling python from inside of GnuCash, but I don’t
> > think we actually do that anywhere. It shouldn’t affect using the
> > GnuCash API from a python program.
>
> I guess that's ok for now, but we might want to call it from inside
> GnuCash someday.
>From earlier statements made by John I had inferred that is was not
possible to call python scripts from within gnucash.

My solution/workaround was offered from that point of view.

I see now that I probably misunderstood what he meant.
In any case the python module shows python code can be  called from
gnucash, although we are not doing it (except for the init.py script).

> It seems to me that the other workaround, to ignore
> SIGTTOU, is better.  You could just ignore it while initializing
> Python if you want to limit the possibility of ignoring one you care
> about.
>
> Also, has anyone tried to use a Python script that access GnuCash with
> the patch to not initialize the Python module in gnucash-bin.c
> applied? I didn't and it seems to me that calling GnuCash from a
> Python script might trigger the SIGTTOU hang. Won't init.py be
> executed then?  If so it will probably hang when it imports
> pycons.console.

I have just tested this. init.py won't be executed when running a python
script that imports the gnucash code. This doesn't rule out that a
python script could trigger a SIGTTOU anyway, but I can't tell because
I'm not getting these signals on my system at all, not even when running
gnucash.

> Another workaround would be to remove the console support from
> init.py. It's currently not used, but it still imports pycons.console
> which triggers the hang.

Hmm, I suppose you tested this already ? That would confirm the issue
starts in pycons.console.

Yet there must be another factor here because I can't reproduce this at
all. We may still have to dig a bit deeper to find the real root cause.
But I have no idea where to start as it works on my machine...

Geert