question about compiling

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Aug 10 23:02:04 EDT 2014

On Aug 10, 2014, at 7:48 PM, Andrew Schein <andrew at andrewschein.com> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I have been toying around with gnucash sources for the first time, and was
> interested to know if there are existing practices for fast compilation?
> For example, "make install" takes 30 seconds even if nothing has changed.
> Is there a fast way to iterate code changes and test?

You can cd to the subdirectory where you're working and run make && make check. That's way faster than building all of GnuCash and installing it, but it depends on there being good test coverage. Unfortunately for most of GnuCash that means you need to write tests before you start changing things. GnuCash is huge and doesn't run from the build directory, so if you need to test the whole application you're pretty much stuck with a rather long edit-build-install-test cycle.

Regards,
John Ralls