Report wrapper to call python scripts?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Dec 28 09:59:40 EST 2014

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 11:54 PM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just a thought regarding the need for a python distribution for the python
> binding on Windows/OS X, would it be an option to build a single executable
> with the gnucash bindings (see http://www.orbitals.com/programs/pyexe.html
> or http://www.decalage.info/en/python/py2exe) ?
> This would give a complete control on the required python version/package
> distribution.

Those solutions are for distributing single applications written in Python. They wouldn't do any good for python bindings, where the user supplies code. For that we'd have to bundle the entire Python distribution. Because of the constraints of linking to a particular libpython on OSX -- the interpreter and bindings must link to the same libpython, and different versions of OSX provide different versions of python, were in the same boat there. We'd need to distribute a complete Python installation in the GnuCash bundle, and generally users would have to use the python interpreter we would ship.

> And if the user is more knowledgeable re python, it could go with its own
> distribution (+ other relevant comment in this thread)

That would require somehow coercing the packages shipped with GnuCash to link the library that the interpreter is using. That's not something the typical Python programmer thinks much about.

Regards,
John Ralls