Swig and C++11

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Dec 30 06:56:43 EST 2014

On Wednesday 24 December 2014 08:38:06 John Ralls
> ... although the SWIG folks still have some work
> to do to fully assimilate C++11 [1].
>

> [1] http://www.swig.org/Doc3.0/CPlusPlus11.html

I'm taking this line out of its wider context of the python wrapper discussion because it may
be more important than only the python wrappers.

We also depend on swig for our interaction between current c(++) and guile code.

If we rewrite the engine in c++11, and want to export these new objects to guile, swig's
capability to handle c++11 code becomes important.

I don't know that much about swig's internals. I do know it has a generic core and each
supported language has its own module for language specific implementation. The python one
is currently the most actively developed one.

The guile module on the other hand has no active maintainer and hasn't had one for years. (I
had to implement the guile 2 compatibility myself for that reason).

So it may well be possible that swig's c++11 support for guile is quite broken. I don't think it
gets tested other than "it builds". It is lacking lots of run time tests.

Geert