Replacement for libdbi

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 11 16:15:38 EST 2014

On Jan 11, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Phil Longstaff <phil.longstaff at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I first started the sql backend, I worked with gnome-db (http://www.gnome-db.org/) aka libgda.  This is a gobject-based database access technology.  I started working with version 3.X and ran into some bugs and missing capabilities.  The gnome-db project had moved on to developing 4.X, but when I tried to use it, I also found bugs/missing features.  That's the main reason there is a backend-sql which forms the "base class", with backend-dbi forming the "derived class" which has the actual technology used.  There used to be a backend-gda.
>
> There was one guy who wanted to rewrite gnucash (this was 2007?  2008?) using libgda as the core technology.  At the time, this would have required a compete rewrite and we told him it wasn't going to happen.  In any case, it's another potential solution.  The homepage says the current version is 5.2.1.  I don't know what version any particular distro has.
>
> I suppose QtSql (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qtsql.html) is another potential solution.

Phil,

You’ve perhaps missed out that we’ve decided to move away from the Gtk universe and embrace C++. That pretty much rules out libgda.

QtSqlDatabase is an option, but it’s one I’d like to defer until we’re ready to redo the GUI, which I don’t think can happen in this dev cycle. Qt is an enormous dependency and I’d like to not go back to depending on both Gtk and Qt (which we did in 2.2 in order to have AQBanking), though I guess it’s worth debating whether that’s worse than forking another project into our repo or dealing with a dependency that isn’t supported by the distros.

Regards,
John Ralls