Python bindings: patch, documentation, examples

David Osguthorpe david.osguthorpe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 11:16:17 EST 2014

I am using the python bindings - in fact was just going to see about
getting some patches to update the bindings.

Just updated to 2.6.0 - looks as though some functions that used to exist
no longer exist in the Account class so need to be removed from
gnucash_business.py

Ive noticed that the python bindings are not very "pythonic" - I have some
updates which improve this eg  account lookup used to require testing that
the swig instance was None - this got updated somewhere between 2.4 and 2.6
so now the python class returns None - the "pythonic" way seems to me is to
raise exception - which is what one of my updates does

So I was going to  email this list to see what is going on with the
bindings and how such improvements could be added.

Such updates will fail existing python code - such as the examples -
although Ive found other cases where existing changes means some of the
example python code no longer works

David