Bug 103181: not-monthly repayment schedules not supported in Mortgage/Loan Druid

alessandro basili alessandro.basili at cern.ch
Tue Jan 14 08:22:49 EST 2014

Hi John,

On 1/13/2014 5:46 PM, John Ralls wrote:
[...]
> I have no real opinion about the algorithms, but there are a bunch of
> bugs and complaints about the loan assistant (it's not called a druid
> anymore, and if that term is used somewhere in the 2.6 documentation,
> please file a bug), so a comprehensive rewrite that addresses all of
> them is preferable to addressing them piecemeal, especially if you
> need to make substantial architectural changes like replacing an enum
> with a continuous range.

Got your point. Maybe I'll make a call on the gnucash-user list to see
whether people have a set of features that want implemented. Also
because, to be honest, I've no financial/accounting background that goes
beyond what is documented in the online-doc of gnucash!

> The last substantial work on the nuts-and-bolts of that function was
> done in 2002 by a dev who's no longer active, so it's likely that
> there won't be much pushback on whatever changes you make as long as
> the results work and match the coding guidelines:
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development#Coding_Guidelines

Thanks for the pointer, I was already looking at the wiki to get a
feeling on the development process. Along the way I might prompt for
suggestions or recommendations on how to proceed.

> We're not terribly concerned about API changes, especially in the
> gnome and gnome-utils directories. Just make sure that if you do
> change a function's signature that you check for and fix both C and
> Scheme callers.

I do not know Scheme (shame on me! :-)) but I guess checking for the
call wouldn't be an issue.

> We also need to separate the computations from the
> GUI code in those directories. You don't have to do that yourself,
> but please keep the goal in mind.

I'm afraid I haven't fully understood this point. Could you elaborate?

> If you can, please add unit tests
> to any functions you alter significantly.

I would follow recommendations and already existing examples in order to
provide some level of testing.

--
Alessandro Basili - Electronic Engineer

PH/UGC Department
CERN, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland
+41 22 767 4759

PGP Fingerprint DCBE 430E E93D 808B 45E6 7B8A F68D A276 565C 4450
PGP Public Key available at keys.gnugp.net