Translation policy

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 14 16:42:13 EST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 1:11 PM, Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 13. Januar 2014, 17:20:45 schrieb Derek Atkins:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, January 13, 2014 4:13 pm, Cristian Marchi wrote:
>>> As GnuCash 2.6 is out, I would like to know where I should upload new
>>> translations: in 2.4 serie the translations updates where always based
>>> on the 2.4 branch and not trunk. With 2.6 release I'm a little
>>> disoriented: I can't see a 2.6 branch and I'm not sure where to commit
>>> po files updates.
>>
>> Right now trunk == 2.6
>> This will remain the case for a few releases until we branch 2.6
>> I'll note that this same approach happened in the beginning of 2.4
>
> Exactly. Please commit translation updates on "trunk". This won't change for
> the next few months. Only after that we might consider a separate 2.6 branch,
> but not now.
>
> I've updated http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status accordingly.
>
> Also, as 2.6.0 is out the door, we are not in string freeze anymore. Just
> commit whatever you think you'd like to do. (Yes, I know this has some
> drawbacks as well, but a formal string freeze on the branch for the releases
> really only makes sense if we have two branches, so that the string-breaking
> patch can always go into the unstable branch. As we don't have a separate
> unstable branch at this point in time, all patches can go into "trunk".)

No, all patches can not go into trunk/master. Bug fixes only until we branch 2.6. If you have some new feature that you just can’t wait to get started on, by all means get started, but do it in a branch in your own repository. You can merge it into master after we branch 2.6. There are lots of bugs to work on, so work on them and commit the fixes to trunk.

Regards,
John Ralls