Building gnucash 2.6.0 python bindings on Debian

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jan 17 04:55:24 EST 2014

On Thursday 16 January 2014 11:39:23 Bas ten Berge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Since I'm posting to the list; there's a warning message when I
> > import
> >
> > gnucash:

> > --
> >
> > ---------------------------- process:1075): GLib-WARNING **: GError
> >
> > set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
> >
> > This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is
> >
> > NULL before it's set.
> >
> > The overwriting error message was: No such file or directory

> > --
> >
> > ---------------------------- Is there something I can do about this?
>
> Getting rid of GLib-WARNING message appeared to be really simple. The
> python-bindings - or a part thereof - were looking for the GNUCash
> environment file, which was not installed. I guess it gets installed
> when the gui is installed. I created a file named
> /usr/local/etc/gnucash/environment containing only this:
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> [Variables] LANG=nl_NL LANGUAGE={LANG}
>
> ---------------------------------------
>

> Thanks again, Bas

Ah. That would make sense. But the environment file normally sets up more variables than only
LANG and LANGUAGE. Some of these may be relevant also for a properly functioning gnucash.
I'm thinking in particular about the GUILE_LOAD_PATH and optionally PYTHON_PATH. You may
have set these yourself manually already.

In any case for me it would make more sense to move the code to install the environment file
to app_utils.

Please file this as an enhancement request in bugzilla so it won't get lost.

Thanks,

Geert