C++ plans? (Re: r23706 - gnucash/trunk/src/register/ledger-core - Bug 721791)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 26 10:06:11 EST 2014

On Jan 26, 2014, at 2:51 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> Another one - on the destkop we will probably always only have one gui (based on one of Gtk, Qt, wxWidgets,...). But that interface would never be portable to Android or iOS. Getting something done on these platforms will also be easier if we'd have a self-contained portable library to start from.

wxWidgets does support iOS. Stephan Csomor, the Mac maintainer/developer, even got a wx-based game into the App store. Our current UI wouldn't work very well on a small screen like a phone or pod, but I think it would be fine on a full-size iPad.

> It might even make interaction with other accounting software possible. That would be mostly to the benefit of the other software but we're not proprietary software trying to lock in users so that would still be a good thing.
>
> I'm not saying any of this is going to happen any time soon, but I prefer to keep my options open. Personally I'm most interested in being able to provide a decent solution on Android/iOS because it surely looks like tablets and smartphones will become dominant computing devices for ordinary users in the future.

If it isn't so already, it will be in another year or two.

Regards,
John Ralls