Announcing GnuCash Android v1.4.0-beta1

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 23:14:27 EDT 2014

Ngewi,

I haven’t taken a look at this latest version of the Android app, as I do not find myself wanting or needing the immediacy of having GnuCash in some form on my Android devices (yet).

However, if I understand correctly, your app does not retain the full data file when it imports. I base this on the issue regarding reconcile status and notes. It seems to me that you should be VERY clear to everyone that your app doesn’t preserve the data file’s integrity, so that users don’t assume they can load their data file onto their Android device, add or modify data in the file, and then use the data file on their desktop machines.

BTW, I think not retaining reconcile status would be a pretty serious shortcoming for using the data on an Android device. As for importing subsets of the main datafile, I think any such solution needs to allow a mergeback feature such that the user who wants to sync up with their desktop data file can do so without data corruption or loss. It should be possible to round trip the data to/from the Android environment, I think.

I am pleased to hear that you have moved the development along, but I hope you will warn users of these limitations going forward.

David