Rethinking Numeric

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Jun 22 15:35:41 EDT 2014

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2014, 16:24:21 schrieb John Ralls:
> I’ve got the start of the trial implementation pushed to
> https://github.com/jralls/gnucash/tree/libmpdecimal. It builds, but it
> doesn’t pass all of the tests yet. I think it’s quite promising and I’ll
> keep working on it, but I wanted to give everyone a chance to see what it
> looks like. So far I’m leaving the existing API in place to simplify
> getting it working, but you’ll notice that the guts of the implementation
> is in a C++ wrapper to make it easy to use directly as the C++ rewrite
> progresses.

Hi John,

well, the new code and gnc_numeric implementation looks very interesting.
However, I still do not quite understand what you are trying to fix here. You
said "overflows", but I argued earlier in this discussion that the existence
of overflows in itself is most probably not a problem because our business
logic requirements will most probably require rounding anyway much earlier
before we run into overflows. If the problem is in this direction, shouldn't
we rather try to clarify the rounding requirements and implement those
correctly, rather than adding more significant digits to our number data type?

Regards,

Christian