DON'T PUSH TO GNUCASH (was Re: gnucash 2.6.2: Multiple changes pushed)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Mar 7 14:36:40 EST 2014

On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:02 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 1:52 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 01 March 2014 21:19:29 John Ralls wrote:
>>>       at  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/9b299fc822b9db2d51
>>> e9a0ccc3a3c46e69b3b5b3 (tag)
>>> tagging  667b581f977c7ac2ab5647f916192c92ba241b31 (commit) tagged
>>> by  John Ralls
>>>       on  Sat Mar 1 18:19:08 2014 -0800
>>>

>>> Tag GnuCash 2.6.2
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I notice that our release tags appear on branched commits. I mean the release that gets tagged
>> is not part of the master branch. While working in svn this was expected as svn really did
>> create a separate commit per tag. For git I find this a bit unexpected.
>>
>> The side effect is that the release tag mails include all commits since the initial commit instead
>> of only since the previous release.
>>
>> This is because the mail script looks for a previous tag on the same branch to calculate
>> changes in this release.
>>
>> So I just wonder in what way to fix this ? Do we need the tags to be on a separate branch or not
>> ?
>
> No, we don't want this.
>
> The quick fix requires reparenting f63e646 to the 2.6.2 tag commit which will require a force push and will generate a not-fast-forward warning for everyone when pulling.
>
> The Gnome repos don't behave this way, so we must have something misconfigured somewhere. I'll look into it later this morning when I get back from grocery shopping.

A bit more digging: The tag is appropriately attached to the release commit. Somehow Christian managed to bypass that commit when he committed f63e646. Among other things, that means that the version in configure.ac in master is wrong. We’re going to have to do the force-push, and the sooner the better.

In the meantime, all committers: Please hold off on pushing anything more onto the Gnucash repo. The other two are OK. I’ll post a reply to this email once it’s safe to do a new pull and then push any pending changes.

Regards,
John Ralls