MacOSX: how to rebuild after source code change

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 8 23:03:16 EST 2014

http://git-scm.com/book

It's free unless you want dead trees. The online  man pages are at http://git-scm.com/reference. Read the book, you'll be glad you did.

> $ git status
> On branch master
>
> Initial commit
>
> Untracked files:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
>
>     .gnucash/
>     NOTES
>     gnucash-git/
>     gnucash-stable/
>     gnucash/
>     tmp-jhbuild-revision
>
> nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
>
> So, I want to make a branch like on the wiki:
>
> $ git checkout master
> error: pathspec 'master' did not match any file(s) known to git.
> $ git branch working-master
> fatal: Not a valid object name: 'master'.
>
> I installed git version 1.9.0 in /usr/local and am using that instead of Mac's 1.8.3.4, but this doesn't seem to make a difference.
> After installing git version 1.9, all I did was "git init", set up "git config" info with my name and email, then "git clone..." for gnucash.
> It starting pulling code, no real problems after that, until I try to make a branch.  Then no love.

"Initial commit" is the clue: You're in the empty directory you set up with `git init`. There's probably a gnucash directory under that which has your clone. `git init` is for setting up a repository for a new project, while `git clone` is for creating a working repository from an existing one.

Regards,
John Ralls