Mac OSX: i386 vs x86_64 in setup_sdk?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 9 11:40:31 EDT 2014

On Mar 9, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Jeff Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:

> Why does setup_sdk in .jhbuildrc-custom specify i386 and not x86_64 for
> Macs?

So that it will work on all macs, even ancient PowerMacs running Leopard.

>  I run on a modern Mac (3.3 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OSX 10.9.2).

I run a late 2013 MacPro (3.0 Ghz 8-core Xeon). Not impressed. ;-)

> "uname -m" says x86_64, but "arch" says "i386"; I would guess that the
> setup_sdk line specifies what "arch" is set to for the build, right?

Yes, that's right.

>  I want 64 bits if I can get it.

Not really, unless it's to play around. 64-bit just gets you longer pointers filled with zeros. Takes up more space and is slower to load, and the gain will be minimal if any.

> How do I start fresh on a rebuild of everything, gtk and gnucash?  "jhbuild
> clean"?  Or if I fiddle with setup_sdk, do I have to go back to the
> beginning of "sh gtk-osx-build-setup.sh; jhbuild build python; jhbuild
> bootstrap"?

If you insist, yes, start over from scratch, though you don't need to re-run gtk-osx-build-setup.sh. If you want to benchmark one against the other, you can set up a new prefix for your x86_64 build and have one of each. .jhbuildrc-custom is python, and modifies the behavior of .jhbuildrc. The one I supply in gnucash-on-mac is just a template; you can expand on it in a variety of ways. You might want to look over the jhbuild docs at https://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/stable/ as well.

Regards,
John Ralls