How to update documentation

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 16 13:43:34 EDT 2014

On Mar 16, 2014, at 12:55 AM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've got some text (thanks Mike Alexander) about the Advanced Portfolio
> Report I'd like to put into the Help documentation reports section.
>

> I've found http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions
> but I believe you are using git now.
>

> Is there some documentation for updating documentation using git or should I
> just try to use these instructions and substitute git commands for svn ?

You could, but it wouldn't work quite right. I've just revised the http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Update_Instructions#The_Documentation_Change_Process_--_What_and_How_it_happens
section with the correct Git commands. You can use that while I continue to work on the rest of the page.

> I've used git exactly once before but I'm keen to help.

Practice makes perfect. The best part is that aside from one command (git push) everything happens locally, so you can't do any harm by practicing. By all means read http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git and http://git-scm.com/book. Depending on how comfortable you are with command line work, you may find a git GUI easier to use, especially if you use Microsoft Windows. I use https://www.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree and http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/.

Regards,
John Ralls