Branching strategy for git

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Mar 25 12:17:29 EDT 2014

On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> If no one beats me to it I'll try to adapt the git wiki page with this info in the coming days.

OK. The main change seems to me to be that instead of making a '2.6' branch next week I'll be making a 'maint' branch.

Have you experimented at all with what the upstream looks like if you merge a private branch instead of rebasing it and then push the result? I *think* the private branch's objects will get pushed upstream, but the ref/heads entry won't, but I don't know that for sure. If I'm right, then the other change in the wiki will be to remove all of the stuff about rebasing instead of merging.

On the matter of feature branches, I'm tempted to create two public ones, 'boost' and 'mvc' to provide a long-running context to those changes and to encourage others to join the fun.  A third, 'core-sql', would come after the engine has been cleaned up enough for it to be practical. What do you think?

Regards,
John Ralls