Official Ubuntu GnuCash package segfaults on Ubuntu 14.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu May 1 04:28:37 EDT 2014

On 30 April 2014 22:07, Herbert Mühlburger <mail at muehlburger.at> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Am 2014-04-29 17:13, schrieb Colin Law:
>
>>> Some additional information on what might create this issue:
>>>
>>>  - the version of libdbi-dev on Ubuntu 13.10 was 0.8.4-6
>>>  - the version of libdbi-dev on Ubuntu 14.04 is 0.9.0-1
>>>
>>> There are some deprecated functions which also prevent GnuCash from
>>> successfuly running the test suite on the current master branch.
>>>

>> I have had no problems compiling and running 2.6.3 on Ubuntu 14.04
>> (from the source tarball).  What is it that is causing you difficulty?
>
> Compiling the latest version of GnuCash works fine. But if I run it I
> always the the same segmentation fault.
>
> I cloned the official gnucash repository and followed the instruction
> for compiling it for Ubuntu 14.04
>
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash --enable-compile-warnings
> --with-html-engine=webkit --enable-dbi
> make
> sudo make install
>
> I think opening an sqlite3 gnucash-file results in the segfault. In the
> attached file you can see the full backtrace after the segfault. It
> seems that the libdbi-dir is not set properly by gnucash allthough
> everything (libdbi-dev, ...) is installed properly on my ubuntu box.

Have you also installed the version of GC from the Ubuntu repository?
This is a good idea as it makes sure all the appropriate runtime
packages are installed.  There will be no conflict with your own built
version as you are installing yours to the opt directory.

Examining back traces is beyond my capabilities (I am not actually a
developer) so someone else will have to look at this.  However, are
you building the latest version on the development branch or the
stable 2.6.3 version?  It might be worth trying the stable version (it
depends on what you are trying to do, get a working system or
contribute to development).  To get the stable version I think the
procedure would be
sudo make unistall
make clean
git checkout 2.6.3
make
sudo make install

If that does not help then I think someone else will have to chip in.

Colin