backend encryption / security

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Wed May 7 14:22:52 EDT 2014

Hi Michalis,

thanks a lot for your offer for help, and thanks for explaining your idea.

Contrary to what some other developers replied, the feature is indeed welcomed
by at least part of the developers and surely by many users. I've discussed
this previously, see (as you have probably seen already)
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/suggestions/1547269
and the thread following of
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2013-June/035754.html

>From the user's point of view, having the possibility for an access protection
password does make some sense and to my understanding this particular user-
level feature would also be welcomed for inside gnucash.

The picture may be different, though, when talking about an integrated
encryption feature in gnucash. I, for one, would welcome that feature as well,
so to provide some more access protection against "casual" access by someone
unauthorized (e.g. shared user account as explained in the uservoice
comments). It remains an open question on how to explain the limits of this
feature clearly enough to the user. I.e., facts such as encrypting the data
file doesn't make the log files disappear and so on. If you can explain how
your solution solves the user feature request of casual access protection, but
without tricking users into a too self-confident feeling of security, I think
this is a worthwhile feature.

Best Regards,

Christian