"private-kvp" merge reverted other changes since November.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 13 06:53:04 EDT 2014

On Monday 12 May 2014 14:47:13 John Ralls wrote:
> On May 8, 2014, at 1:40 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
wrote:
> > You're welcome. I was too curious to let it pass and it was a good
> > opportunity to learn something about git merge in the process.
>
> The only actual damage seems to have been in
> src/report/report-gnome/gnc-plugin-page-report.c; at least that is
> the only file with significant diffs in `git diff 9d40512..49a5909`,
> which shows the net change from your reverting the merge, remerging,
> and re-doing the C++ fixups. All of the changes from this year were
> reversed in the original merge commit, so I must have messed up when
> handling the last or next-to-last back-merge and blithely picked the
> branch version for every diff. git rerere remembered and did the same
> when I did the forward-merge.

That's a reasonable explanation.

> So I’m going to revise my earlier worry about git being able to safely
> merge a long running commit: I’m not sure *I* can safely merge a
> long-running and complex branch in the face of dozens of conflicts. I
> guess that’s an argument for merging frequently to keep the conflicts
> under control.

Agreed. Your kvp branch was from before the git era when it wasn't
possible to merge. We can now revise our strategy and merge master more
frequently in longer running topic branches to reduce the merge
complexity.

It will be a matter of finding a good balance. It doesn't make sense
either to merge after each and every commit. That does indeed clutter up
the branch history and makes the history harder to read in tools such as
gitk.

Geert